Securities and Fraud Litigation
Securities litigation is highly complex, involves specialized laws and procedures, and requires a strong understanding of the implicated investment vehicles and the ways in which brokerage, investment advisory, and financial firms operate. Galbut Beabeau's securities lawyers have a deep understanding of these topics and leverage their corporate governance and compliance experience to provide comprehensive, strategic, and effective representation.
Our litigators have pursued and defended numerous actions on behalf of market participants, brokerage firms, investment advisors, corporate clients, and individual investors involving a variety of securities, including non-registered securities, stocks, options, structured products, real estate investment trusts (REITs), bonds, derivatives, limited partnerships, mutual funds, collateralized mortgage obligations, and mortgage backed securities. Such actions have alleged:
- accounting irregularities;
- breach of fiduciary duty;
- churning of stock brokerage accounts;
- director and officer liability;
- know your customer and suitability violations;
- market manipulation;
- misrepresentations and omissions of fact in the solicitation of investment in securities;
- negligent portfolio management;
- negligent supervision or lack of supervision;
- order failures;
- structured and non-traded products fraud;
- unauthorized trading;
- violations of prospectus and other disclosure obligations; and
- violations of federal and state securities laws and regulations.
Our securities litigation team, led by Galbut Beabeau founding parter and nationally recognized trial attorney Martin Galbut, regularly bring and defend these claims in an array of tribunals, including the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA), the American Arbitration Association (AAA), and in state and federal courts.
We have obtained several multi-million-dollar judgments for institutional and individual investors bringing claims against brokerage firms, unlicensed broker-dealers and sales representatives, and investment advisors. We have also represented numerous investors who have become ensnared in Ponzi schemes, and have worked hard to successfully recover investments through pursuit of the scheme's promoters, participants, and aiders and abettors.
Galbut Beabeau's trial attorneys have successfully defended some of the largest brokerage firms (e.g., Merrill Lynch, JP Morgan Chase, and Deutsche Bank), registered representatives, financial planners, and investment advisors in securities actions, including defending major class actions involving billions of dollars.
In addition, our litigators have decades of experience pursuing and defending all types of non-securities fraud litigation, including:
- business fraud;
- consumer fraud;
- Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practice Act violations;
- financial fraud;
- fraudulent concealment;
- fraudulent inducement of contracts;
- insurance fraud;
- material misrepresentations and/or omissions; and
- residential construction fraud.